Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March 2014 Play Log - Day 8 to 14

8, 9, 10, 11 - Ummmmm, yeah. About that gaming every night thing? It's been sort of a rough patch lately. As a main household member (one of the Founding Father's, you might say), there have been issues cropping up that have required my attention and made gaming a luxury I haven't had time for. It's time's like this that I am reminded of my favorite scene from one of my favorite movies, While You Were Sleeping. By "favorite scene", I mean a moment where you realize that the writer had been in your shoes before because there's no other way he could have known exactly how you've felt:

(About 3/4 of the way through the movie, Jack is sitting down at the breakfast table with his father, Ox, who has been reading the obituaries looking for new "clients" to purchase from. He's an estate furniture buyer.)

Jack:   Been a hell of a week, hasn't it?


Ox:     Life is a pain in the ass. l´ll tell ya. You know? You work hard, try to provide for the family, and then, for one minute, everything´s good. Everyone´s well. Everyone´s happy. And in that one minute, you have peace.

Jack:   Pop, this isn't that minute.

Well, this hasn't been my minute either.

12 - Yeah! Game was played! And that game was


(Yes, I think it's time to start adding some more art to these posts.)
This is a "Gamestop Rental" that I'll be returning Monday or Tuesday of next week. I've heard so much about the game from podcasts that I just wanted to see it for myself. I got to play the prologue this evening and while I'm impressed by the overall sneaking, jumping and climbing aspect of it, I have to question the whole "grab every shiny object you see" part of it. I mean, what is this, a kleptomaniac simulator? I imagine myself roaming around, climbing ropes, jumping through windows, carefully inching across beams...with a big sack of cups, rings, and perfume bottles rattling around on my back! I dig the whole Super Thief thing, but please don't make me grab every glinting bauble in sight - I should be saving my talents for a big score.

13 - Another hour plus into Thief and I think I know why it didn't do better in the ratings. It's not a "bad" game, but it's starting to feel repetitive already. Also, the main character has the complexion of a vampire, the city is seven shades of depressing, and the control scheme is awkward (button presses have to be either quick or long - they don't register if it's in between). It's also very annoying that you seem to only be able to go outside in the middle of a storm, which leads me to wonder: if I'm in shadow, can I be seen during a lightning strike? I'll probably kick it around a couple more times before I take it back to Gamestop, but I don't think I'll be returning to it. Just too much else out there I want to play that I might enjoy more. Oh, and I found out why I had to steal minor stuff. There is a "merchant" that you buy supplies from and that pays your way. However, I easily filled up my inventory before I ran out of money.

14 - Well, finished up the week on a non-game night. These things happen, I guess. Spent most of the evening watching "The Last Days on Mars" which had a promising start and then devolved into a zombies-on-Mars story. Good special effects for a current low-budget sci-fi flick, but it wasn't enough to save the shallow plot. I give it 1 1/2 stars out of 5.

No comments: