Monday, March 12, 2007

2K7 Game-a-Week Week #10: Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

If I had to sum up my experience with GTA:LCS in one word, I think it would be "underwhelming". It basically played like a GTA clone from a budget software house. It was fun (for a few minutes) to be back in Liberty City but the thing that struck me, other than the bland graphics, was how little the city changed during the time that has passed. Most cities get new buildings or at least renovations during a few years time. From what I saw, the city must have blown its budget on something else

I know this was just a PSP port (how in Zeus's butthole did anyone play this on a handheld screen and not go blind!) so it obviously wasn't going to have the graphic level of the original PS2 game, but I think it should have gone thru the update. Also, and I don't think this is specific to the PS2 version of LCS, I had a lot of problems targeting bad guys with my gun. If they got too close, I would turn around and shoot behind me while getting shot at! One thing which was nice aside from having an overview map, was the short missions, but I don't think it's enough for me to go back to it. I did get the other one, GTA:VCS, which might not be much better, but at least both of these were cheap (under $15 at Mecca on sale) and they are part of the GTA "experience". It makes them necessary additions to The Collection.

In keeping with last week's game choice being based on new releases, I think it maybe time to crack the seal on one of my true triple-A titles - God of War. The sequel comes out this week and if I can get it at Circuit City with the free t-shirt, I might have to drop 50 clams on this one. Ouch! It hurts just typing that. That's a lot of shell fish for one game. Have to see.

Other news: Staying with Hotel Dusk, but still getting stuck at points where I had to do one thing in order to keep going. Like using chalk dust. How was I supposed to know that!...Played a little more Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. You actually have to watch what you are doing in that game. I tried just steaming through, not using special moves, and died pretty quickly. Despite what people have said, it seems fun. Maybe because I haven't played the previous mystery dungeon games....In Vana'diel, our new linkshell has proven very valuable. We now have more AF gear and last Saturday did 5-1 and 5-2! So, our little gang is 67 with a 6 in our Rank column. Very cool.

No comments: