Monday, May 08, 2006

E3 Inspired Blog - #1

With the net humming with E3 news in every shape and form (yeah, podcasts!), I've gotten the bug to blog again. During this week I'll try to post once a day even though I'm not actually at E3 myself. (I'm actually within driving distance of the event, but am not one of the chosen ones who get to attend.)

As for next gen consoles, I have no love for the 360. I think Microsoft rushed it out the door and cut the legs of the original Xbox too soon. On top of that, most of the good games are on PC as well, so why drop $400+ to get one? (Ok, it might be different if you have a sweet HD-TV setup, but I is not one of them.) But I am losing something because of the 360...mainly advertising for sale games. Every 360 game ad, is one less for the PS2, Cube, GBA, and Xbox. Very unfair.

I am looking forward to the PS3 even though I doubt I'll be able to get one at launch. Price and availability (and my own cheapness) will more than likely make it a canidate for Birthday Present 2007 (or maybe even Xmas 2007 - yikes!).

As for the Wii.... /sigh .... I love Nintendo. I really do. But WTF were they thinking? Was no one in the board room of the Western persuasion when the decision to call it Wii was made? I guess if it's cheap (in comparison to 360 and PS3) it will get enough of a user base to survive its silly name. Favorite jab: "The Nintendo Wii. Urine in the game now!"

Trend I want to see die: Downloadable games. First they screw us out of maps and game aids. Then they take away paper manuals. Now we won't even get our own copies of a game? BS meter is pegged, folks.

No comments: