Thursday, January 21, 2016

2015's Mountain of Shame

2015 was, to me anyway, one of the greatest years in videogames. All three of the home console makers, already well established after being out for over a year, were pumping out one great game after another. Being a fairly well funded consumer, I shamelessly bought them all (or close to it).

I played quite a few of them, as can be seen by my previous post that covered that glorious year, but many - too many! - are still sitting on a shelf, still wrapped in a coat of shrink wrapping.

The list you see below is (to the best of my records) all of the games I bought last year...AND HAVEN'T PLAYED!

PS4
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Battlefield Hardline
Bloodborne
Borderlands: The Handsome Jack Collection
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Disney Infinity 3.0
Dragon Quest Heroes
FIFA 16
Godzilla
Lego Dimensions
Little Big Planet 3
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Mortal Kombat X
Onechanbara Z2 Chaos
Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Saint's Row IV: Re-elected
Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition
Sniper Elite III
The Legend of Kay Anniversary Edition
Toy Soldiers: Toy Chest
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection
Until Dawn

Xbox One
Batman Arkham Knight
Dead Rising 3
F1 2015
FIFA 14
Forza 6
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rock Band 4
Ryse: Son of Rome
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition
Sunset Overdrive

Wii U
Bayonetta 2
Huyrule Warriors
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario Maker
Mario Party 10
Rodea
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros.
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

PS3
Akibara's Trip
Assassin's Creed Rogue
Batman: Arkham Origins
Battleship
Deception IV: Blood Ties
Falling Skies
Lost Planet 3
Risen 2
Risen 3
Star Trek
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Tokyo Ghost Hunters

Wii
Muramasa: The Demon Blade

PS2
Motorstorm: Arctic Edge

PC
3/4's Home
Abyss Odyssey
Assassin's Creed Liberations
Astray
Blue Estate
Cibele
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Depth
Dispatcher
Dream
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Final Fantasy VIII
Five Nights at Freddy's 2, 3, and 4
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
Grow Home
Hatred
Her Story
I am Bread
Kholat
Pathologic Classic HD
Rake
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Tales form the Borderlands
The Purring Quest
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

and a Playstation TV unit with a 16gb memory card.

Mind you, a lot of these were purchased used or during various sales, usually with my Best Buy Gamer Club Unlocked discount (I can't pass up a bargain), but we are still talking about a significant investment in discs, plastic cases, and 1's and 0's. The size of this list does owe itself, in part anyway, to the addition of two new consoles this year. (Come on, if I'm going to buy a console, I need games to play on it, right?)

Now it's nearly the end of January and not only have I not bought anything other than a couple toys-to-life figures, but I'm still playing a game from last year, Fallout 4.

So, here it is: I'm not buying any new games in 2016.

"Why?", I hear you cry, while Best Buy and Amazon lower their prospective sales numbers for 2016.

If something does catch my eye (and so far there isn't much I've heard is coming out that I'm interested in), I'll add it to a list and maybe have an end of the year shopping spree...to stock up for 2017. Plus, I'll still be getting games for free via PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold, so it's not like I won't have any additions to my collection.

I'll be revisiting this list next January to see how many of 2015's games got played. Should make for an interesting comparison.

No comments: