Monday, October 20, 2014

One Night Stands - The Playstation Plus Edition

When I realized that a) I would want to get a PS4, and b) PS+ was going to be giving away Resogun, I took the plunge and bought a subscription. Over the months I've owned it, they have been giving me at least 2 games per platform (PS3, PS4, and Vita). As long as you don't mind the $50 a year (less if you get a good deal during the year), you will end up with a significant number of new games to play. I've actually had to start an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of which games I have and what they run on. (PS4 is the only platform that has a good way of seeing what you have in your "library".) I figured it was time to start going through a few of these and also use them to do some stream testing.

Road Not Taken Image Road not Taken - It turns out that this is actually a puzzle game. You have to save children who have been sent out to pick berries and gotten lost in a terrible snowstorm. (Oh, the horrors of forced child labor!) Your character, who reminds me of a Jawwa wizard, has the power to levitate any object around him that can be lifted. But you have a limited amount of time to keep these things in the air. When you release them, they fly until they run into something or the edge of the area you are in. (This led to a rather amusing thing with a cat I found myself owning.)
I'm not big into puzzles, so I only played through the first couple of missions. I'm not sure what the significance of the title is; I guess you have to play more of the game.


PIX the CAT Image Pix the Cat - Talk about Pac-Man flashbacks! So, you play as a cat, who has to collect eggs, which hatch into ducks, which follow you around and are dropped off onto targets that turn into tiles. And this is all timed and when the timer runs out, you start all over again on the same boards. This part makes it somewhat less interesting to play - while you can get good at a particular pattern, it gets old quickly. I do like how the next board is actually "hidden" in the current screen and then everything sort of collapses back onto itself at the end. Neat touch. Below is one of my better runs.


No comments: