Wednesday, July 02, 2014

2014 Play Log - Somewhere in the Middle

You could probably just call this one a "filler". Since my last post, I haven't played any new games and I haven't finished any old ones. On the PC, I'm working my way through Alan Wake and on the Vita, Persona 4 Golden. I will obviously be done with Alan Wake way before P4G!

Like many games these days, I wish Alan Wake was about half the length it is. Don't get me wrong - it's not boring. I'm enjoying the story and exploration, but part of me would like it to be closer to movie length (or at least mini-series). Maybe what game designers need to do is make games with normal running times then have an option to play the "extended edition".

Persona 4 Golden is holding my interest and makes for a nice break from gaming at my desk. I'm only about 8 hours in, so there's a loooong way to go.

I behaved myself pretty well during the Steam summer sale. Of course, now I have a bunch of new games that I want to get to so finishing Alan Wake will be my primary goal.

It's been 6 months since I started my "24 Games in 2014" project. So far, I've gotten to play:

  • Alan Wake - Not originally part of the list, but I realized it should have been, so I swapped out Max Payne 3. (It can be part of the 2015 list.) Loving the storyline and doing a pretty good job of the combat. The game may be a little too combat heavy, but at least the "light-as-weapon" mechanic is different.
  • The Stanley Parable - This didn't take very long, but I'm glad I played it to see what all the fuss was about. Honestly, not that big a deal.
  • The Wolf Among Us - I've played 2 of the episodes of this, have the 3rd and 4th, but am having trouble getting back to it. Frankly, I don't really connect with the characters; not in the same way I did in The Walking Dead.
  • Diablo III - I really wanted to dive into this game and be enthralled...but it feels so "sterile" when you compare it to something like Skyrim or Amalur. Worse, I picked a character class who might as well be armed with magical Uzi's. Not enough up close and personal sword swinging.
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - The only Zelda game I have ever finished was Link to the Past back on the SNES and I think that is making it hard for me to really get into this one. So much of this game was copied from LttP which is great for anyone who didn't play it. For me, it still feels like an update/mod of the original.
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - *Sigh* Why do I keep getting games that I know I probably shouldn't have gotten in the first place because I didn't like the previous ones? These games are hard RPG's buried under the Mario license along with lots of annoyingly "amusing", overly redundant, and time-eatingly long dialog trees.
  • Tearaway - Ok, this one I really liked! Not only was it a fun platformer, but it gave a chance to really get to know what it was like to play on the Vita. And I found I liked it, better than my 3DS.
  • Device 6 - And back to the "not so good side". I gave this weird, text bending iPad game a try, but got stuck on the first "puzzle" and lost interest pretty quickly.
  • Infamous - I played a fair amount of this one (3 or 4 hours), but the actual story didn't work for me enough to continue with the it. As a starter game for a franchise, you get this problem where the "new thing" (in this case the main character's powers) becomes the designer's main focus and you start to feel that the rest of the game is just there to show it off. So you start to see repeated locations, repetitive tasks, and uninteresting side characters.
Well, that's 9 out of 24 - not even half. And a lot of the games still to play are pretty major titles. I guess I picked some of the easier ones to start out with!


No comments: