Tuesday, July 22, 2008

40 on 47

Well, I've gone and done it now - joined the widescreen, HD generation...and there's no going back.

As of this writing, I'm only a few hours shy of pre-ordering my next game machine, the new 60gb Xbox 360. It's not without a certain degree of concern that I do this, too. My library of games, to this point, is crammed with non-HD titles that I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate, let alone enjoy, after seeing the kind of widescreen, ocular-bleed inducing graphics that the 360 and a Sony Bravia can produce. I've already seen what this behemoth can do with just upscaled movies and I'm spoiled. My poor PS2 is relagated to a mesealy composite input and I haven't had the courage yet to put in a disk. Will Rez look ok? How about the already low texture land of GTA:SA? I might be alright with GoW and Shadow of the Colossus might even look cooler, but there are so many. At least GH doesn't care - it's just basic graphics anyway. Cube games will fair better, given that they are going through the component input and some are even setup to do 480p anyway. I'm also planning on marking Xbox games that will work on the 360, maybe with a green dot or something, so I know which ones I can use and which I can't. It will be interesting to see how many are upwardly compatible.

No comments: