Monday, February 11, 2008

Pawn Moves #5: Opening moves

If this keeps up, I may have to change the blog's name or start a new one. I haven't done any video gaming since my last post, unless you count on-line chess as "video gaming".

Nah, I didn't think so.

But so far, I'm still in the grip of Bobby's ghost. I've been surfing chess sites, keeping up with international tournaments, buying chess programs and books (I have to be buying something, you know), restructuring my environment to put chess materials in prominent locations, and, of course, playing chess on-line.

I've taken a slightly different approach to the books this time. At one time, I had a considerable library of chess books. Then, for whatever reason causes me to do these things, I either sold most of them or put them in an unmarked box in the garage. Under my previous ways of doing things, I would have gone to almost any lengths to find them again. Not this time. I fortunately kept the cream of the crop inside and these are now the building blocks for my new collection. I'm giving up on whatever I might or might not still have in the moldy (and slightly vermin attacked) garage. In addition, I'm going to add to it primarily from new books purchased with the frequent coupons I get from Borders and B&N. And, here's the good part, I'm actually going to read the ones I have and buy! Shocker, isn't it?

As for playing games, I've been doing mostly the turn at a time sites. It seems all the head-to-head sites are primarily for quick play. Pardon me if I want to take a few minutes and study a position!

I could go into more detail, but have to go back to the grind. Things to do, ya know.

No comments: