Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Neverwinter ever again?

Just got the December 2005 issue of PC Gamer yesterday (yeah, I don't know why they print them like that either), and the cover story was about Neverwinter Nights 2. Being a veteran of many a D&D battle as part of an awesome trio, fighting our way through Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, their expansions, and then NWN, any news about the next installment had me doing something I almost never do - actually read an article in a magazine. :P Unfortunately, I think they got the name of the game wrong. If what I read doesn't change drastically, it should be called "Fable Nights". Here is a quote that sums up my dissapointment:

"Because Obsidian (the game's developer) is focusing so completely on Neverwinter Nights 2's story-driven single-player experience, multiplayer was brought up almost as an afterthought."

Yup, the main thrust of NWN2 will be a single-player adventure, complete with character growth and NPC's for hire. The article goes on to say that there will be a multi-player mode, but it will be based around the DM style - no mention of the non-DM style of play.

While I appreciate that the rich history of adventure gaming was built on single-player games, I can't help but think the legacy of Black Isle's games is fading faster than the popularity of Zip drives.

No comments: